This program ends June 30, 2024 for fiscal year 2024.
THRHA will accept NEW applications for the FY 2024 Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) beginning November 1, 2023 if you are legally disabled or over age 60, and on December 1, 2023 for the general public through June 30, 2024.
Tribal Citizen Households Only:
Please use this chart to determine whether your household meets the income guidelines federal LIHEAP – 150% Alaska Poverty
Gross Monthly Income (In Prior Month)
Each Additonal Person After 8
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that assist low income households with their energy bills.
The program provides a one-time benefit to eligible households to assist with home energy heating costs. The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, fuel type, housing type and geographic location.
Program Features & Requirements:
- THRHA accepts new applications for the FY 24 Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on November 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older, and December 1st for the general public through June 30, 2024.
- LIHEAP awards are mailed directly to the applicants’ vendor(s) for energy assistance.
- If the clients heat is included in their rent, they are required to provide their lease agreement.
- If the client uses an oil vendor the oil vendor is always considered as the primary vendor, and a minimum of 50% of the client award must be applied towards oil. Each client may request 50% of their award to be applied toward their electric or propane bill if a recent bill is provided with their application. If the client does not use oil their electric or propane vendor will be considered as their primary vendor.
- The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, vendor type, housing type and geographic location.
- Depending on the community, applicants who are not enrolled tribal citizens must apply directly through the State of Alaska – Apply here: http://dhss.alaska.gov/dpa/Pages/hap/default.aspx
All complete LIHEAP applications will be processed within 45 days.
- Copy of social security card for all members listed on the application.
- Last 30 days of income verification: If you or anyone on the application (18 years or older) is employed, please provide copies of all income that is received for the prior month.
- If you receive social security, SSI, APA, TANF, food stamps or general assistance, please send a copy of your most recent award letter. If you receive food stamps, a recent award letter that shows countable income can be used to determine your eligibility.
- A copy of your fuel/oil, electric, and propane bills is required to process your application. If heat is included in your rent, please provide a copy of your rental agreement and rent receipt. If you live in subsidized housing, please attach a copy of your rental housing worksheet.
The online application is currently under maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back later to apply online or download the fillable PDF below to fax or e-mail. —LIHEAP Staff.
When can I apply?
THRHA accepts new applications for the FY 24 Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on November 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older and December 1st for the general public through June 30 2024.
How do I know if I will receive Heating Assistance from a tribal organization?
For a list of communities served by tribal organizations go to the State HAP Website HERE or contact your local tribal organization or the Heating Assistance office. It can delay your benefits if you apply with the wrong organization.