This program ends May 31st, 2022 for fiscal year 2022.
THRHA will accept NEW applications for the FY 2022 Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) and Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) beginning October 1, 2021 if you are legally disabled or over age 60, and on November 1, 2021 for the general public through May 31, 2022.
Tribal Citizen Households Only:
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) are federally funded programs that assist low income households with their energy and water utility bills.
The program provides a one time benefit to eligible households to assist with home energy heating and water utility costs. The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, fuel type, community water flat rates, and geographic location.
Program Features & Requirements:
- THRHA accepts new applications for the FY 22 Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Low Income Household Water Assistance Program on October 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older, and November 1st for the general public through May 31st annually.
- LIHEAP & LIHWAP awards are mailed directly to the applicants vendor for energy and water assistance.
- If the clients heat is included in their rent they are required to provide their lease agreement.
- If the client uses an oil vendor the oil vendor is always considered as the primary vendor, and a minimum of 50% of the client award must be applied towards oil. Each client may request 50% of their award to be applied toward their electric or propane bill if a recent bill is provided with their application. If the client does not use oil their electric or propane vendor will be considered as their primary vendor.
- If the clients water utility is included in their rent please do not provide your water utility bill as we are unable to pay landlord directly.
- The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, vendor type, community water flat rates, and geographic location.
- Depending on the community, applicants who are not enrolled tribal citizens must apply directly through the State of Alaska – Apply here: http://dhss.alaska.gov/dpa/Pages/hap/default.aspx
- All complete LIHEAP applications will be processed within 30 days.
- Copy of social security card for all members listed on the application.
- Last 30 days of income verification: If you or anyone on the application (18 years or older) is employed please provide copies of all income that is received for the prior month.
- If you receive social security, SSI, APA, TANF, food stamps or general assistance please send a copyof your most recent award letter. If you receive food stamps, a recent award letter that shows countable income can be used to determine your eligibility.
- A copy of your fuel/oil, electric, propane, and water bill is required to process your application. If heat is
included in your rent, please provide a copy of your rental agreement and rent receipt.
The online application is currently under maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back later to apply online or download the fillable PDF below to fax or e-mail. —LIHEAP Staff.
When can I apply?
THRHA accepts new applications for the FY 22 Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Low Income Household Water Assistance Program on October 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older, and November 1st for the general public through May 31st annually.
How do I know if I will receive Heating Assistance from a tribal organization?
For a list of communities served by tribal organizations go to the State HAP Website HERE or contact your local tribal organization or the Heating Assistance office. It can delay your benefits if you apply with the wrong organization.