THRHA is accepting new applications for the FY 2021 Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) through May 15, 2021.
Tribal Citizen Households Only:
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that helps low income households with their home energy bills.
The program provides a one-time benefit to eligible households to assist with home energy heating costs. The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, fuel type, and geographic location.
Program Features & Requirements:
- THRHA accepts new applications for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on November 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older, and December 1st for the general public through May 15th annually.
- LIHEAP awards are mailed directly to the applicants vendor for fuel, electricity and/or propane.
- If the clients heat is included in their rent they are required to provide their lease agreement.
- If the client uses an oil vendor the oil vendor is always considered as the primary vendor, and a minimum of 50% of the client award must be applied towards oil. Each client may request 50% of their award to be applied toward their electric or propane bill if a recent bill is provided with their application. If the client does not use oil their electric or propane vendor will be considered as their primary vendor.
- The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, vendor type, and geographic location.
- Depending on the community, applicants who are not enrolled tribal citizens must apply directly through the State of Alaska – Apply here: http://dhss.alaska.gov/dpa/Pages/hap/default.aspx
- All complete LIHEAP applications will be processed within 30 days.
- Have an annual household income that is 150% or below the Federal poverty level.
- Provide a copy of social security cards for all members listed on the application.
- Last 30 days of income verification: If you or anyone on the application (18 years or older) is employed please provide copies of all income that is received for the prior month.
- A recent copy of your oil, electric, and/or propane bill is required to process your application. If heat is included in your rent, please provide a copy of your rental agreement.
- Depending on the community, applicants must provide a copy of their tribal ID.
The online application is currently under maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back later to apply online or download the fillable PDF below to fax or e-mail. —LIHEAP Staff.
When can I apply?
THRHA accepts new applications for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on November 1st for clients who are disabled or 60 years or older, and December 1st for the general public through March 15th annually.
How do I know if I will receive Heating Assistance from a tribal organization?
For a list of communities served by tribal organizations go to the State HAP Website HERE or contact your local tribal organization or the Heating Assistance office. It can delay your benefits if you apply with the wrong organization.